HISTORY OF THE SHELLIE AWARDS
Click here for a list of past winners:
Patterned after Broadway’s Tony awards, the Shellies honor over 120 individuals and their work in musical and non-musical theatrical productions that took place between September 1 and August 31. Currently the 11 regional companies participating are: Butterfield 8 Theatre Company, Center REPertory Company, Contra Costa Musical Theatre, Diablo Actors Ensemble, Diablo Theatre Company, Onstage Theatre, Pittsburg Community Theatre, Role Players Ensemble Theatre, Town Hall Theatre Company, Vagabond Players, and the Willows Theatre Company. Accompanied by a live band, selections are performed from each nominated musical and non-musical.
Nominees are selected by each participating organization and then a ballot is prepared to be voted upon by the Shellie Committee, a confidential group of individuals who attend each production. The Shellie Committee members then complete their ballots and forward them to the independent accountant who tallies the ballots and prepares the sealed envelopes which are not opened until the awards ceremony.
Each winner is awarded a custom-designed porcelain Shellie statuette. Guest award presenters include presidents of each participating company, local mayors, supervisors, radio and television personalities as well as film stars. The evening concludes with a champagne gala honoring the nominees and award recipients.
In order to be a participant in the Annual Shellie Awards, theatre companies must:
- Have performed a published season for at least 2 years (seasons)
- Be a Non-profit or government-sponsored performing arts program that produces at least 2 productions each year
- Shellie season runs from 9/1 through 8/31
- Provide Federal Tax Id Number
- Not collect tuition or registration fees for performer’s participation in productions (membership dues are not applicable)
- Provide complimentary tickets for Shellie selectors to be held under the name of Scott Denison
- Provide a ticket office phone number for those selectors who wish to purchase their own tickets
- By August 1 provide a listing or brochure of dates, times and location for the next season.
- Return completed Shellie ballots by September 30 to be eligible for consideration
- Be prepared to provide costumes, entertainment, scenes, music and musical numbers from nominated productions as requested by the Shellie producers for the awards ceremony